Saturday 17 November 2012

An Amazon culture withers as food dries up

Just a quick post today.

I recently stumbled across an excellent article published in the New York Times - 'An Amazon culture withers as food dries up'.

A woman and a child of the Kamayurá tribe in the Amazon, a tribe discussed in the article.


I urge you to read this article if you want to gain a deeper understanding of the trials of the indigenous people in the changing world. I found it extremely informative and found it gave me an excellent insight into the day to day struggles of the people, rather than just the major changes such as deforestation I have discussed so far.

This article caught my eye in particular, as it directly echoes the sentiment I was trying to get across by writing this blog;


- “As they see it, they didn't cause the problem, and their lifestyle is being threatened by pollution from industrial nations. The message is that this [climate change] is about people, not just about polar bears and wildlife.” -


If you do happen to have any interest in what I have written about so far, and have not just stumbled here by accident, then give it ago. It says all that really needs to be said, and I don't feel the need to add anything else at this moment. If you want to find out more, however, the ideas discussed in it I will no doubt be examining in a greater depth in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment